Why do we brush every day? Why do we reduce the intake of sugar? Why do we take supplements? Why do we produce vaccines? There are so many questions on why we do the things we do. There are so many reasons, but one of the main reasons is because we want to prevent something from happening to us. It could be preventing from some medical illnesses, prevention from extra medical cost in the future, prevention from getting wrinkles, from diabetes and obesity, from losing hair, from getting bald, and the so on.
We always hear the saying, “Prevention is always better than cure”. We believe that prevention is better than cure. Fissure Sealants are one of the best ways to prevent dental decay, because it can be apply in any ages; the young, the middle, and even the elderly.
So what are Fissure Sealants? As we know there are many reasons for tooth decay, and one of the reasons are pits and fissures. Fissures are the grooves on the chewing surface of the back teeth caused by normal development. Pits are form when two fissures cross. Thorough brushing and flossing help remove food particles and plaque from smooth surfaces of teeth. Pit and fissures; however are extremely difficult places to clean. Toothbrush bristles cannot reach all the way into the depressions and grooves to remove food and plaque. The enamel layer can also be particularly thin in pits and fissures, causing decay to progress easier, faster and deeper into the grooves. In Smileway Dental we recommend to place sealants on teeth to cover the pits and fissures to prevent tooth decay. This is because Sealants protect these vulnerable areas by “sealing out” plaque and food.
What are the Advantages with Fissure Sealant:
- Properly applied, sealants are very effective in preventing decay in pits and fissures. Even early decay appears to stop when it is covered with a fissure sealant, because decay-causing bacteria are unable to survive when cut off from their food supply.
- Fissure sealants contain fluoride which helps in preventing cavities.
- The application of a sealant is quick, easy and painless. No drilling or freezing are required. However if drilling is required, it will be done so with minimum drilling.
- A properly placed sealant will last for about as long as 5 years or more. Even though the fissure sealant is damaged or lost, it is easily repaired or replaced.
- It is very safe for use on everyone’s teeth, and can be apply in any ages, from the young to the adults.
- Fissure sealants cost less than having a cavity filled, in addition they are an effective preventive measure from dental decay.
There are many benefits for having sealants done on your teeth. As the saying goes, “Prevention is better than cure.”