Bad breath is a symptom whereby a noticeably unpleasant breath odour is present. Scientific name for bad breath is also known as HALITOSIS.
Causes of bad breath
- Some food particles in and around your teeth can increase bacteria and causes bad breath.
- Eating certain food such as onion, garlic and spices can also cause bad breath.
- Smoking causes unpleasant mouth odor.
- Smokers are also more likely to have gum disease, which is another source of bad breath.
- As result of tooth decay, gum disease or mouth sores.
- Result of surgical wounds after oral surgery such as surgical tooth removal.
How to prevent the bad breath
Brushing and Flossing
- Brushing cleans around 60% of the surface of the tooth.
- Flossing reduce the buildup of food particels and plaque from between the teeth.
Brushing the tongue
- Bacteria, food and dead cells commonly build up on the tongue, especially in smokers or those with a particularly dry mouth.
- A tongue scraper can be useful.
Avoid dry mouth
- Drink a plenty of water.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco, both of which dehydrate the mouth.
- Sugar free chewing gum can help stimulate the production of saliva.
- Brush or gargle after taking strong odoured food such as garlic and onion.
These are some of the steps you can take to have a stronger and healthier tooth. After all, we all want to make sure we are problem free and we can enjoy our life and food for many years. In Smileway Dental Clinic USJ and Smileway Dental Clinic Setapak we take care of your smile because we believe in “Creating Smiles That Matters” in your life. Take care everyone.