Why amalgam fillings are seldom used in modern day dentistry?
1. Amalgam contains trace amounts of mercury which may not be good for our health if not handled properly
2. Amalgam mercury can be inhaled in lungs if proper precautions are not taken
3. High levels of mercury effect the brain and kidney if ingested in its original and unreacted form.
4. It requires more tooth removal for amalgam fillings to remain seated in the tooth.
5. Amalgam fillings can leak after a long time has passed since the filling is not chemically bonded to the tooth structure
6. Amalgam fillings are black in color while all others teeth are white in color so it will look unnatural.
7. Amalgam tooth can weaken your tooth through time if proper care is not provided to the teeth.
8. We recommend amalgam fillings in situations that indicate the best success for amalgam fillings since composite has better color and binds chemically to the tooth.
Here in Smileway Dental we enjoy giving patients the smile which is natural and fillings that mimic both color and form of natural teeth. In Smileway Dental Clinic USJ and Smileway Dental Clinic Setapak we take care of your smile because we believe in “Creating Smiles That Matters” in your life. Take care everyone. To know more about amalgam filling, do not hesitate to contact us and get an appointment for a consultation.