Ulcers are breaks or discontinuity in the mucous membrane in the oral cavity. Ulcers may be single or multiple when manifesting itself.
- Chemical burns
- Thermal burns
- Trauma or damage to mucous membrane
- Stress or hormonal imbalance
- Viral or bacterial infection in the oral cavity
Ulcers may appear at any time or place in the mouth. The few most common spots ulcers form.
- Corner of the mouth
- Upper and lower lip
- Floor of the mouth
- Both sides or below the tongue
- On the cheeks beside the molar teeth
-Ulcers may appear as a indurated base surrounded by a red halo and is usually covered by a mucous membrane
-Ulcers usually heal in a span of 2 to 3 weeks and without any scarring to the normal tissues in the oral cavity
To treat ulcers,
- Maintain good oral hygiene by brushing teeth and using mouthwashes
- Avoid hot, spicy and sour foods while the ulcer is healing
- Apply gels or medication on to the ulcer 3 times a day to prevent any secondary infection (some gels contain painkiller properties and can be obtained at any local pharmacy)
Want to know more about your teeth, feel free to visit us at Smileway Dental Clinic Setapak and USJ. Here we provide dental treatment in a comfortable way because we create smiles that matters.